Saturday, February 27, 2010

Lecture capture

 
(www.encodedmedia.com)


        I've always thought that lecture capture was a cool idea, because students could go back and review any part of a lecture as and when they please. When we started discussing in class about the reasons that all professors would not allow their lectures to be captured, I started thinking more about the whole concept. One of the main reasons that came up in the discussion was that, a lecture capture would take away a component that makes a professor inevitable to the system.
       I never thought about lecture capture as a one time endeavor, which would eliminate the role of a professor once done. May  be in introductory courses, this may be of more relevance, because there is not going to be much change in the basic stuff that needs to be introduced to the students. Even in such a situation, I think professors should tailor lectures with currently relevant examples and theories (if any). Lecture capture to me is just a supplementary tool that would reinforce student learning if they really wanted it to. Talking about who really owned the material (the lecture video) brought a whole different dimension to this issue though- "The work for hire theory". I guess, it would be more assuring if professors were allowed to own what they produced, but in theory, the University owning the video makes sense.
       I would agree though that lecture capture would make professors a little wary about the way they conduct themselves in the class or the examples and material they share there. Just having somebody overseeing you while you do something could make it uncomfortable.
     However, I'm convinced that lecture captures would be an effective tool to help students learn better, and professors should embrace this as much  as possible. What do you all have to say?

3 comments:

  1. I agree that it could be a good tool to students who really wanted to use it. But similar to recording lectures, I think students may not independently visit the material. I see lecture capture as being most beneficial to post undergraduate learners as their motivation for independent learning may be greater.

    The issue of ownerships is a tough one. I'm not sure how to address it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, lecture capture is a good 'refresher' tool that is helpful in revisiting an already learnt content. Might not be the best tool to introduce new concepts for the first time (and expect a good learning there after)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think lecture capture can be an excellent tool if used effectively. I am currently toying with the idea of using it as a review tool for exams.

    ReplyDelete