Sunday, January 24, 2010

through the lens of Teaching Perspectives


(Image from http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs35/i/2008/238/2/a/Looking_through_a_lens_by_Svision.jpg)

       The Teaching Perspectives Inventory (TPI) exercise kept me wondering for a while right after I got my results :). I did understand that there was no right and wrong perspective of teaching. I've had teachers that were exemplary in what they did, and fell in all of these categories.... so what do I really believe in...?? That was the million dollar question (... may be not a million :P ) of the hour.
         Transmission - I pictured my best teacher giving a well prepared lecture, drawing on the knowledge and experience she had over the many years. That was full of interesting and informative knowledge which kept me inquisitive all the while, and made me want to hear more.... She was a great teacher.. and that was her perspective....I also had teachers with , developmental, apprenticeship, and nurturing perspectives..... So yea I could see few faces with each of these perspectives and few with a mixture of these... :) but I did not have any that stand out with the social perspective. That could be because I was in the sciences and not something that had a social impact. That made sense too. Anyways, coming back to THE question... what did I believe in?, what was my perspective?
       I was a disappointed at first seeing that transmission was not my strong perspective (given the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed my teachers "transmission" lectures loaded with knowledge while I was an undergrad"), but I was totally ok, because with time, I've evolved from that and my perspective has changed. So yea, after all the information that was read and discussed, I was happy with the couple dominant perspectives and the recessive perspective of mine. However, I did entertain a debate within my gray cells about the thin line separating two teachers with nurturing perspective, one with enough nurture in nature that would benefit the student and the other that just wanted  to be "liked" by the student. Former to the later, that's a line I do NOT want to cross.
      Breaking of from the TPI, we got into our groups, and yea we were a MIX of a kind....(I'll keep that news/discussion for later :)). The discussions that happened then was just enough to increase curiosity about the technologies we were going to confront in class now, and life later. Just knowing that you don't know what you are unaware of until you get there; or not knowing enough to know what you want to know is knowledge in its self (If that makes sense :P). I'm sure I'll have interesting things to pen down as we get into more stuff.
    As for today's last words, I should try and find some research on the technology for the team tech talks. With the weekend getting over faster than we always anticipate, I'm sure that's gonna be just FUN.

                             Till I catch u next, do stay warm and dry :)

2 comments:

  1. I just want to say your blog is so nice! Youve done a great job with it. I am luckly to have figured out how to post something, so you have inspired me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that greatest power in the world may be realizing what we do not yet know. I think we shall all continue to learn and grow together in the realm of technology.

    ReplyDelete