Saturday, January 30, 2010

Catching up- few tech tips

(http://www.usfst.com/media/focus-area-images/FSTUS/issues-9-1/Technology_management_LG_FOC.png)

       Web 2.0 vs Web 1.0, Mashups, Social bookmarking etc. were some of the lingo that welcomed us this time

     ....Until this class, I never knew about its existence.... Several times did I send bookmarks from my own computer into my email, just because I would need to access them from another computer. Now I find, there was somebody who thought to make this tool available online also... Delicious  .com huh !! I could instantly relate to the use of this technology, having gone personally the longer way quite a few times. After the class was over, I played around with this a little and actually went online with my bookmarks. Am glad I will not have to go that annoying route again... having to send emails to yourself with just a link or two.
       Time to move on... and now I hear about "When is good" wow. There seems to be an online solution for almost every convenience issue humans face (may be except a few..:P). This tool helps schedule meetings after knowing convenient timings of all those involved (given the fact that everybody is super busy when we really need more than 2 people to be there at a place for a meeting). We then write down possible options (dates or times), and find at least one person for whom each of these time slots are inconvenient.  I am going to wait for my first committee meeting to test ride this online tool. So I'll be back to share how that went. :)
      Then we went to something more familiar (at least in hearsay), creating a website using google sites. Again, the neophyte in me had worked on Googlepages, but never knew about Googlesites until couple weeks before. After going through some of the initial steps, it seems that I should be able to navigate through this technology fairly easily. So I will have to resurrect my shelved project- my own website, courtesy Google :P
    We are gearing for the team tech talks which our group will be doing on Feb 9th. More than being excited about what we are going to be presenting, I am looking forward to what other teams would be bringing to the table. With team based learning being a mainstay of this course, I guess all of this becomes more interesting.

                     Next time I'll tell about "Kokusai Teki".

3 comments:

  1. Good that you are putting the new things together in the blog. I can comeback and know about a few.

    I am interested about the Sakai project on the "student collaborative environment". Whats your topic of the TTT? anything related to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a novice at the online bookmarking idea as well. I may have to give it a try some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you are trying out some of these technologies for yourself...that gives you much more leverage when you ask your students to try them out!

    ReplyDelete